Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I'm on a Librarian radio... whoa-oh

Sorry, I didn't mean to leave for so long, but not much has been happening.  I think, when I last posted, I had just called a large law firm about my application.  They did call me back, and were very pleasant, but I never actually heard back about the job.  C'est la vie.  Following that, I applied to work for a small, start-up web company.  They contacted me before I could even call them, and I went for an interview.  I had a lot of concerns about taking the position (killer commute, no group insurance, possibility of company failing), so I wasn't too heartbroken when they went with someone who had more project management experience.  Other than that, I haven't really seen too many new jobs on the job boards; except at universities, and I think we all know how I fare calling them.  I applied, but the lack of phone calls gave me nothing to blog.  The reason I'm posting today is to let everyone know that I've done something to try and further my cause.  A while back, I applied to work for a new radio station for librarians.  Try as I might, I could not find a phone number with which to contact the media outlet running the station.  I did, however, come across an email address for a gentleman associated with it.  I contacted him to see what he would be willing to do for me.  After all, one of my favorite high school teachers taught me a long time ago that you don't get anything if you're too scared to ask.  He wrote back and told me that he would love to feature my story on one of his shows.  After a few edits and one major format change, I recorded a 5 minute commentary on the challenges of finding a job.  FYI, it took me almost 2 hours to get it recorded due to some very loud neighbors and a dog-friendly neighborhood.  Every time I'd get the words out smoothly, my camera would pick up a dog barking or my upstairs neighbor falling.  I am proud of my final effort, but next time I'll go to a recording studio!  Now, everyone go and listen to my podcast!  http://kiesermanmedia.podbean.com/
I'd also like to send a special thank you to Bob Kieserman for encouraging my efforts and being willing to put my piece on his network for the whole country to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment