Monday, March 7, 2011

Damn you voicemail: Phone campaign, day 1

I started my day with a $175 filling in my tooth (marked down from $225 thanks to my wonderful dentist).  Instead of allowing this setback to ruin my day, I am directing my financial anger into my phone calls.  No worries, I managed to convert the anger into self-confidence over the phone. 

My first phone call was to a law firm in Delaware.  It's an entry-level position, and working there would mean waking up at 6 AM every day, but I am not in a position to be picky.  I sent my application digitally as requested in the posting, but then I used some creative Googling to come up with the company name and phone number.  Alas... voicemail.  I left the a charming message for the HR Director and stressed how important the personal touch is even if the posting did not actively promote phone inquiries.  I'm assuming my phone call came in during lunch hour, so let us see if Ms. HR has the time and manners to call me back later today.

My second call was to a large corporation to which I had applied several weeks ago.  I noticed that they re-posted the position on a different job board this past Friday, so they clearly have not been able to fill it yet.  I called the Philadelphia office first, since that is where I would be working, and I was told that the HR office is in IL.  HR then informed that I would need to speak to the recruiters.  I repeated my story to a recruited who listened nicely... and then transferred me to the recruiter who must have rejected me in the first place.  Perhaps she was also at lunch.  I left her a wonderful message outlining why she should definitely call me this time so we can discuss how perfect I am for the job.  Hell, they're only looking for someone who got a 3.5 in school, and I got a 3.7!

That's all for today, unless I see any new postings on SimplyHired or Monster.com.  I'll keep you posted on any return calls I might get.  For now I'm off to baby-sit, which is apparently the only job someone with a Masters can get these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment