Friday, March 4, 2011

Nepotism as a form of personal contact

It's not what you know, it's who you know.  I have never believed 100% in this theory.  There are way too many unemployed and/or unsuccessful people with successful family members and friends for it to be true.  I am, however, a firm believer in getting a leg up from helpful people and then using my own skills and charm to get ahead.  After all, if the hard part is getting in to the interview and I can use a personal reference to get that far, I'll still need to do well in the interview.  Next week I have a meeting with an archivist at a major university.  I was granted this meeting because this archivist happens to be uncle to one of my good friends from high school.  I don't know that this meeting will get me anywhere, but I do know that the campus has three open positions.  I fully intend to charm my friend's uncle and as many of his colleagues as possible.  If I could turn this meeting into an interview of sorts, I could have a job within a few weeks.  Just in case though, I still intend to work on my personal contact campaign starting Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment